Going to the Lindsay Ex has been a tradition for us since before we even had kids (my husband has been going his whole life), and my girls are already talking about how excited they are for this year’s festivities (September 20th to 24th) – it’s something to look forward to and a nice reward after three weeks back to school! Today I’m sharing reasons why you should bring your own family, and why you’ll have a great time!
- Local kids can enter their handiwork in a competition! Both Liv and Eva have been busy this summer with their Junior Arts entries (crafts, writing, etc., based on guidelines in the prize book). They’ll have a chance to see it displayed at the Ex, and to possibly win some cash!
- The parade. There’s a fun parade to kick things off on the Wednesday night, including floats from local high schools. St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Secondary School always has a great one…in my blatantly biased opinion. (Last year they even included some adorable “Future Titans” on the float – recognize anyone?) In 2016 we nabbed a patio spot at one of the great Kent Street restaurants to take in all the parade action as we dined!
- The awesome midway. From toddlers through adults, everyone will find rides that they love. Our girls started enjoying the midway when they were two years old (below you can see a throwback pic of Liv with a friend), and they’re still not ready for some of the more thrilling rides. The LEX also offers pay-one-price wristbands that can be purchased in advance for $30 – a great deal for kids who want to ride all day!
- Great food. My favourite stop is usually an amazing fish & chips truck, but they have all sorts of traditional fair fare (see what I did there?) and there’s usually a Tim Hortons booth inside the Commonwell building for those who need their shot of caffeine.
- The livestock. While country and city kids will take in the animals through different lenses, it’s great education for everyone. Whether it’s horses or cattle that interest your kids or the chickens and bunnies found in the small barn, there’s something for all animal-lovers to check out.
- Grandstand events: there are several important LEX Grandstand traditions, like the Thursday night truck pull, Saturday night tractor pull and the Sunday night demolition derby. Kids are welcome and have a blast at these events, though you may want ear protectors for the very little ones; these fun nights aren’t quiet! Personally I’m most excited for the Friday night LEX Party, featuring the James Barker Band. Just sayin’. (Haha.)
- The Family Stage. Tucked away in a quieter corner of the Ex you’ll find a small stage and seating area where you can catch musical acts, a visiting clown and more!
That’s not all…this year’s LEX calendar includes pony rides, face painting and even a meet and greet with Chase and Marshall from PAW Patrol!
For more information, check out the LEX website. See you at the Lindsay Exhibition!
Disclosure: I am receiving perks in partnership with the Lindsay Ex. Opinions are, as always, my own.