This post is sponsored by Bayer. To be sure these products are right for you, always read and follow the label.
Summer is right around the corner and with the warm weather and outdoor activities come sunburns and unwanted allergies, and both can keep you from enjoying fun in the sun. Be smart and take the necessary precautions to make the most of those sunny days.
Here are some ways to stay summer smart:
- Enjoy the sun – responsibly! Making a conscious choice to keep your skin happy and healthy is crucial all year, but especially in the summer season. Finding your right sunscreen can be challenging, but the new Coppertone ClearlySheer Whipped leaves skin feeling soft and moisturized. The rich and creamy foam absorbs quickly while protecting from the sun’s harmful rays. (And don’t forget that a lot of women’s skin care products, especially anti-aging ones, can make your skin even more susceptible to the sun’s rays, meaning sunscreen is even more important.)
- Remember your eyes! Sunglasses are essential, and if you find a flattering style that can also protect your eyes from damage, you’re more likely to wear them. Five years after laser eye surgery my vision is slightly less sharp – and the one advantage of that is that I now have a mild prescription and was able to get a pair of the Bvlgari sunglasses that the Duchess of Cambridge has often been seen wearing!
- Don’t sweat it. Staying active and exploring the outdoors is an integral part of a successful summer (even I am happy to be outside when it’s nice out!) But when you sweat, there are extra steps you need to take to be sun safe, including hydrating more often and choosing a sunscreen that can take the heat. For sunscreen, the Coppertone Sport Sunscreen Stick has you covered. It stays on strong when you sweat. (Light-coloured, moisture-absorbing clothing can also help keep you more comfortable when things heat up.)
- Don’t overdo it. We all want to make the most of the beautiful weather but knowing your limits and taking appropriate breaks is important to enjoy the summer responsibly. Monitor your breathing and heat levels. If your body is telling you to rest and cool down, make sure you listen (signs of heatstroke can include headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, etc.) – and keep an eye on kids too!
- Treat your seasonal allergies. With the blooms and buds comes pollen. A runny nose, sneezing and tearing of the eyes can force us indoors, depriving us from enjoying those glorious summer days. I know so many people whose allergies act up this time of ear, and many swear by Aerius. It gives multi-symptom 24-hour relief. Plus it’s non-drowsy so it can help you function normally, both at school and at work.
- Keep travel plans to yourself. This bonus tip isn’t health-related but just an added note about a different type of summer safety! When you’re travelling, be sure you don’t share plans in advance on social media, or post status updates that make it obvious that your home is currently unattended. The internet makes it all too easy now for criminals to scope out easy targets…you don’t want to be one!
I hope these tips help keep you summer smart, and I’d love to hear any other ideas you have as well!
This post is sponsored by Bayer. To make sure these products are right for you, always read and follow the label.